I am 10 days sober from soda and diet soda.
My friend Jeff sent a link to an article on Nutrasweet (Aspartame). And, wow, that’s some scary shit. It’s certainly making me think long and hard about using artifical sweetners.
Dr. Mercola writes:
- aspartame was previously listed by the Pentagon as a biochemical warfare agent
- there have been more reports to the FDA for aspartame reactions than for all other food additives combined
- diet foods and drinks ruin your body’s ability to count calories, and in fact stimulate your appetite
- aspartame can be found in more than 6,000 foods, including soft drinks, chewing gum, table-top sweeteners, diet and diabetic foods, breakfast cereals, jams, sweets, vitamins, prescription and over-the-counter drugs
- ester bond in aspartame breaks down to formaldehyde and methanol
And I remember reading somewhere about it being a step or two away from becoming plastic! I mean, we know these things aren’t good for us, but we still guzzle by the gallons.
So the question is, What’s to drink? Water. I’ve been supplementing with tea and coffee. But I use Splenda or sugar-free vanilla in my coffee. And my Crystal Light has Aspartame. So, really, what’s a girl to do?
I figure more baby steps. First soda, next Crystal Light.